Monday, June 30, 2008

Letting Go

OK, so I have 2 months to go and I already feel like a big ol' Rollie Pollie. It takes 2 tries to get out of bed in the morning. Oh, and don't get me started on our chaise lounge. It's so comfy, but I need a crane to get out of it.

We went swimming yesterday at my dad's house. I actually like my swimsuit. It's a very cute, empire waist tankini in brown and white. Anyway, my dad was trying to get Reilly to use his inter tube in the water, but he would have nothing to do with it at first. So my dad got his inter tube and showed Reilly how to put it over his head and around his waist and he finally got it.

At first, I was holding him because I was afraid he would slip through the middle. He kept saying, "Let go mommy!" I was too afraid, not Reilly, but me! I would let go and then secretly hold on to the back, but he quickly caught on. He never got frustrated with me, but he finally turned to me (this is my 2-year-old) and said, "Mommy, let go. I can do it by myself. I be careful!"

And so I let go!

He was such a big boy. He swam all over that pool, clutching the inter tube and kicking his legs just as fast as he could. Every once in awhile his mouth would dip down in the water a little and he would spit the water out and readjust himself on the tube. He did this all day. He kept saying, "Look at me mommy. I swimming!"

I know my son will always love me and need me, but I guess it's time to let go a little. He's got to explore the world. And I am sure there will be some bumps and bruises along the way. I think as long as we teach him morals and keep loving him as much as we possibly can, he'll hopefully make the right decisions (most of the time). After all, I definitely had some bumps and bruises growing up, and I think I turned out OK.

2 comments:

Debby Mayne said...

It's very difficult to let go, but you're right in doing it--gradually and with enough of a rope that you can pull him in if something isn't right. I have a hard time letting go with my adult kids.

Memories And Landscapes said...

When Lisa and I got there he was floating around in that thing as confidently as could be. Kids really do learn fast! Dad made this analogy one time about why it seems like time flies as you get older. He said, "When you 2 years old, one year is half of your life...and when your 30 (-something, like you), one year is 1/30th of your life." Anyway, the point is that kids learn so fast because a couple of hours is like a month to them. Think about how cool it must be for everything to be so new and amazing everywhere you look! Smart kids want to explore and do things on their own. You guys are doing such an awesome job! He is a little bit of a mama's boy though, I am too...I guess that's what happens when you have a mother that loves you unconditionally!